Revision Knee Replacement in Hyderabad
Dr Gopal Reddy is a revision surgery specialist practicing in Hyderabad, performing the most technically challenging interventions in orthopaedics like complex revision joint replacement surgery. He has vast experience in performing complex revisions and reconstructions of the hip and knee involving the use of custom revision components.
Dr Gopal Reddy (MBBS, Ms Ortho) is a consultant orthopedic surgeon associated with Sunshine Hospital, Hyderabad. His areas of expertise include joint replacement surgeries of hip and knee, revision joint replacements of knee and hip, minimally invasive knee and hip surgeries. He is a renowned surgeon who hands out the best-in-class treatment, thereby offering successful and highly advanced revision surgeries.
Dr Gopal Reddy focus on latest techniques and patient safety. He provides treatment at par with current international standards. He is an experienced and compassionate medical professional who incorporates innovative technology and cutting edge clinical expertise for conducting minimally invasive surgery that accounts for less pain, minimized blood loss, reduced risk of infection.
Understanding Revision Knee Replacement
Revision Knee Replacement is a revision surgery in which part or all of the previous knee prosthesis are replaced with the new prosthesis. Revision knee surgery is performed when the knee replacement fails due to various reasons such as infection, loosening of the prosthesis, and worn out prosthesis.
Patient Assessment :
Once the decision for revision knee replacement is made, Dr Gopal Reddy conducts the standard assessments such as x-rays, laboratory tests, bone scans, CT scans, or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans.
All these assessments are done to know the cause, location, and the amount of bone loss before surgery. If the reasons were found to be an infection, then the joint fluid will be collected and sent to a laboratory for analysis to identify the type of infection.
What Happens During The Surgical Procedure ?
You will be given general anesthesia, and an incision will be made over the knee to expose the knee joint. The kneecap and all other components will be moved aside, and the old femoral component of the knee prosthesis will be removed and replaced with new parts.
In some instances, a damaged bone may be replaced with a bone graft or a metal wedge. In this case, your surgeon will remove the old plastic liner along with the tibial component. Then, the damaged bone will be replaced by the new component to make up for the lost bone. The new plastic liner will be placed on the top of the tibial component, which is secured to the end of the bone using bone cement.
If the reason for the failure of knee replacement is damaged patella, then your surgeon will resurface the damaged kneecap and places a plastic component. Then your surgeon will make the new knee joint by bringing together tibial and femoral components of the prosthesis. Then he will reattach the knee muscles and tendons and places the surgical drains to drain out the excess blood and closes the incision.
- You will have a brace or splint on the joint to protect the joint after the surgery. Antibiotics and blood clot prevention will be continued.
- Immediately after the surgery, you will be attached to Continuous passive motion (CPM) machine to allow the knee joint to move in a controlled range of motion.
- You will be sent for rehabilitation within one week following the surgery
- Physical therapy will be recommended to strengthen your leg and restore range of motion. Your physical therapist may suggest knee immobilizers to keep your knee stabilized.
Infrastructure Highlights :
- A 450-bed facility in 130,000 sq ft. built-up area
- Multi-super specialty hospital
- An entire floor dedicated to critical care
- 12 modular operating theatres with laminar airflow
- Exclusive floor for trauma suite – 25 ER beds
- X-ray multislice, CT scan & 1.5 Tesla MRI scan, cath lab, two operative rooms
- 10-bed trauma ICU emergency with separate entry for ambulance round the clock
Why Dr Gopal Reddy for Hip Replacement?
Dr P Gopal Reddy, fellow joint replacement surgeon perform complex or revision knee replacement surgeries regularly.
- Best-in-class treatment for advanced revision surgeries
- Nurses with specialized training in the care for joint management
- Case management during treatment and after discharge
- Registered dietician to monitor your dietary needs
- Special Medicines for sports people
- Pain clinic for post-surgical recovery and long term follow up
- Preoperative counseling, safety tips at home & work
- Thorough medical checking
- Advanced pain management and progressive physical therapy
- Postoperative accelerated rehabilitation
- A fully customized exercise program
Are you looking for Revision Knee Replacement Surgery ? Request a proposal now.
When is Revision Knee Replacement Surgery is Needed ?
Dr Gopal Reddy advises revision knee surgery to his patients if they have one or more of the following conditions :
- Trauma to the knee joint
- Chronic progressive joint disease
- Increased pain in the affected knee
- Worn out prosthesis
- Knee instability
- Loosening of the prosthesis
- Infection in the prosthetic joint
- The weakening of bone around the knee replacement
- Stiffness in the knee
- Malpositioning on implants
- The feeling of giving way while walking
- Leg length discrepancy
Revision Knee Replacement FAQS
Why Do Implants Fail ?
The reasons for the failure of implants include
- Wear and Loosening
- Patient-related factors such as age, activity level, surgical history, and weight.
What Can You Expect After Revision Knee Surgery ?
90% of patients who have undergone revision surgeries reported positive outcomes such as pain relief with increased stability and function. Some patients may still experience some pain which persists for several years after the procedure.
Should I Be Concerned About Anesthesia ?
Any surgery with anesthesia will have some risks. However, the anesthesia risks involved in the operations performed by Gopal Reddy are extremely low.
How Is Revision Surgery Different From Knee Replacement ?
Revision surgery involves the removal of original implants placed during knee replacement surgery. Revision surgery is a much more complicated procedure compared to knee replacement surgery.
Do You Offer Physical Therapy and Rehabilitative Services For the Patients With Revision Surgery?
Dr Gopal Reddy has a specialised team to provide physical therapy and rehabilitative services following the revision surgery to keep the knee stabilized.
How Do I Schedule An Appointment?
To schedule an appointment,
Call at: +91-9949255522
Email at : [email protected]
Visit Website : www.drgopalreddy.com